Jan, 1 , 2009
Recently Asked Questions:
A. How do I get permission to reuse COHERENCE written materials?
Answer: Copyright Clearance Center manages The New Science of Breath, Coherent Breathing - The Definitive Method, and COHERENCE Newsletters. Click this graphic to access Coherence materials.
For other materials please email: email@example.com.
B. Can I make COHERENCE Clock or Taiji Diagram run "on top" on my PC desktop all the time?
Answer: Yes, but it requires a small application that allows you to specify what application should take topmost precedence. The application we recommend is "Always On Top Maker". You can find the freeware download and the instructions here:
C. How long does it take for Coherent Breathing to "work", i.e. improve health?
Answer: While this may sound somewhat incredible, a single breath at the frequency/depth of cardiopulmonary resonance yields a positive psycho-physiological response. For this reason, it has been found that most users exhibit both quantitative and qualitative improvement within minutes of using the Coherent Breathing method (this may or may not require coaching).
The positive benefits last for as long as one continues to breathe "coherently".
D. I purchased the eBook, The New Science of Breath but it won't print. What do I do?
Answer: The only way to print the locked .pdf is to press the "control" key, then "p".
E. There are may breathing techniques. How is Coherent Breathing different from the others?
Answer: Coherent Breathing aligns the breathing cycle with the fundamental autonomic nervous system rhythm, resulting in autonomic balance and cardiopulmonary resonance. Other breathing methods, old and new, aspire to elicit this moment, but most often without necessary precison.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Question: What is COHERENCE(TM) about?
Answer: COHERENCE(TM) provides patented tools and methods for achieving autonomic nervous system balance with consequent health enhancement. Learn more about COHERENCE(TM) by clicking this link: about COHERENCE(TM).
2. Question: What is "coherence"?
Answer: "Coherence" is a technical term referring to amplitude, periodicity, and spectral purity of the intrinsic autonomic nervous system rhythm, this rhythm manifesting as the rate at which the heart beat rate changes. "Coherence" of this rhythm is indicative of autonomic nervous system balance and resulting psycho-physiological condition.
3. Question: Why should I care?
Answer: Autonomic nervous system imbalance, specifically, "sympathetic dominance" is potentially at the root of many modern day maladies including anxiety, hypertension, etc. Learning to achieve and maintain autonomic balance results in enhanced health and well being.
4. Question: How do you achieve autonomic nervous system balance?
Answer: Fundamentally, autonomic nervous system balance is a result of synchrony between the breathing cycle and the intrinsic autonomic nervous system rhythm - The Fundamental Quiescent Rhythm.
5. Question: How do you achieve synchrony?
Answer: By synchronizing your breathing cycle with an audible/visual reference signal that is "tuned" to this Fundamental Quiescent Rhythm. COHERENCE Breathing Pacemaker(TM) products provide this "reference rhythm".
6. Question: It is my understanding that autonomic nervous system balance is a goal of yoga and meditation. Is this true and does use of the Breathing Pacemaker(TM) facilitate the process of yoga and meditation?
Answer: Yes. The state of coherence is both a goal and an outcome of yogic practice. You can learn more about this by clicking here: Yoga & Meditation.
7. Question: Is the Breathing Pacemaker(TM) a tool used for practicing breathing or is it something you use all the time?
Answer: Both. The Breathing Pacemaker(TM) is for purposes of deliberate breathing practice and as a background "reference rhythm". You can think of the Breathing Pacemaker(TM) as a metronome for breathing.
8. Question: What can I expect in the short term from using this product?
Answer: By following the method outlined in the instructions (that you will receive with each purchase), each day you practice the method, you can anticipate increased calm, comfort, and sense of well being. No specific claims are made regarding health benefits.
9. Question: What can I expect in the long term from using the Breathing Pacemaker?
Answer: By following the method outlined in the instructions (that you will receive with purchase), you can expect the sense of increased calm and comfort to become lasting and continuous. You can also anticipate a shifting toward the psychophysiological correlates of balance as described in FIGURE 16 of the The Science section. No specific claims are made regarding health benefits.
10. Question: Is it possible for a person to change how they breathe on an ongoing basis?
Answer: Yes, definitely. Modifying one's breathing is not unlike modifying one's posture. Once you know what to do and why you are doing it, it simply involves ongoing practice and commitment. Having said this, for you to achieve maximal benefit, it will be necessary for you to commit yourself to a fundamentally new approach to breathing.
11. Question: How long does it take to retrain one's breathing?
Answer: In PsychoCybernetics (ISBN: 0-671-70075-8), Maxwell Maltz recommends practicing mindfully for 20 minutes per day for 21 days, after which the new engram will be established. This method has been found to be very effective.
12. Question: What is a Breathing Pacemaker?
Answer: While the Breathing Pacemaker(TM) is offered in numerous forms, fundamentally it provides the user with an ~12 second rhythm with which they consciously synchronize their breathing cycle.
13. Question: Is it necessary to synchronize both inhalation and exhalation aspects of the breathing cycle?
Answer: Yes. Breathing Pacemaker(TM) products provide an indication as to when to change from inhalation to exhalation and visa versa.
14. Question: How is the breathing performed? That is, how do you go about doing it?
Answer: Instructions are provided with the purchase of each Breathing Pacemaker(TM) product.
15. Question: Does achieving the state of coherence on an ongoing basis reduce blood pressure?
Answer: Breathing rapidly while at rest results in an elevated heartbeat rate and reduced heart rate variability. Generally speaking, blood pressure follows heartbeat rate. No specific claims are made regarding health benefits.
16. Question: Is "correct" breathing necessary to achieve coherence?
Answer: Yes, in fact the degree of coherence is really a measure of the degree of synchrony between the intrinsic autonomic nervous system rhythm - The Fundamental Quiescent Rhythm and the breathing cycle.
17. Question: You specify a breathing rhythm of 1 cycle in ~12 seconds while resting or semi-active. Does this interval apply when more active, for example, when exercising?
Answer: No. When you exercise, there is increased energy demand and consequently, a necessary increase in breathing frequency.
18. Question: Once I train my breathing to the rate of 5 cycles in approximately 1 minute, will it remain trained?
Answer: Yes, with the ongoing application of awareness and practice. Without ongoing attention and awareness, with time and stress one tends to revert to prior breathing habits. This is a reason that the "pacemaker" is desirable.
19. Question: Does the use of caffeine affect coherence and the use of the Breathing Pacemaker(TM)?
Answer: Yes, caffeine stimulates sympathetic emphasis resulting in a relatively higher sympathetic bias, thus making it more challenging to achieve balance.
20. Question: Does the use of tobacco affect coherence and the use of the Breathing Pacemaker(TM)?
Answer: Yes, use of tobacco is known to exacerbate sympathetic dominance making it more difficult to slow the breathing cycle.
21. Question: Does the Breathing Pacemaker(TM) work on a subconscious or subliminal basis?
Answer: Yes, once you have thoroughly trained yourself in the use of it. (It is not intended to be used in this manner prior to training.)
22. Question: How is this any different than just breathing slowly?
Answer: While breathing more slowly while at rest is better than breathing rapidly while at rest, it is our objective that the Fundamental Quiescent Rhythm and the breathing cycle be optimally aligned. Optimal alignment requires breathing with a high degree of precision.
23. Question: Why is optimal alignment important?
Answer: Optimal alignment yeilds optimal autonomic balance. There is a large quantitative and qualitative difference between optimal balance and near optimal balance.
24. Question: Is coherence in some way related to muscular tension?
Answer: Yes, simply stated, muscular tension and associated stiffness, inflexibility, etc. is a result of autonomic imbalance.
25. Question: In the practice of Coherent Breathing, do I need to be concerned about "abdominal" vs. "chest" breathing?
Answer: No. If you breathe at the at the Fundamental Quiescent Rhythm with comfortable depth, the rest will take care of itself. By this it is meant that the optimal coordination between chest and abdomen naturally occur.